Slains Castle

slains_scotavia006p.jpg

The ruined fortress of New Slains Catsle overlooks the small village of Cruden Bay, on the northeast coast of Scotland. The castle was built in 1587 and extensively reconstructed in 1836. For most of its existence, it was the seat of the powerful earls of Erroll. The 20th earl sold the castle to the secretive shipping magnate, Sir John Ellerman in 1913; he never lived there, but leased the property for a few years before allowing it to fall into ruin.

Bram Stoker visited Cruden Bay many times. One of his novels, The Mystery of the Sea is set there and there is a distinct resemblance between the ruined castle and Stoker;s description of Castle Dracula in his novel.

The 20th and 21st Earls of Erroll had respectable careers in government. Victor Hay, the 21st earl, was the acting British ambassador to Germany and British high commissioner to the Inter-Allied Rhineland High Commission. Victor’s son, Josslyn, the 22nd earl, was also part of the diplomatic staff in Berlin in 1920, but moved to Kenya in 1923 and became part of the scandalous “Happy Valley set” of wealthy swingers, drug addicts and sybarites. he was murdered in 1940 but the case was never solved.

In the modern era there were several attempts to purchase Slains Castle but all purchases were blocked by the law firm of Billington and Sons on behalf of clients that had an interest in ‘historical preservation.’ However, Billington and Sons were silent when Axel Logistics purchased the property with the help of their law firm, Linklaters LLP.

When an investigation was conducted by Cal Morrison, Frankie Savage, Ilari Vasyl and Wolfgang Fechtner, they uncovered the cellars of Slains Castle contained an abandoned Edom research facility as well as one of the Vampires they must have left behind as well as a lost masterpiece painting, Lust of the Underworld.

Back to Places

Slains Castle

Night's Black Agents: Dracula Dossier Hasturmind Hasturmind